December 19

Love Is An Enemy

It’s been about six years since my parents passed away. I got a random call from the police one day to inform me that they were murdered inside their home. I was left devastated- crying my eyes out until there was nothing left inside me. I would never leave the house and had no energy. 

Throughout those years, I met my husband Andrew, through our mutual friend. We went on dates: to movies, the park, and the beach. I adored how sympathetic and reassuring he made me feel. He was a real romantic fellow that I couldn’t help myself, but to fall in love with him. We started dating for about 3 years, until he decided to propose – he stood on one knee as he asked my parents for permission to allow him to marry me and told them how much he’ll protect me, even when they’re not here with me right now. I gladly accepted his proposal. I knew he was the right person at the right moment for me. 

We prepared for the wedding. And then three months later, we got married and had our honeymoon, at a resort near the beach- where we had our first date. 

After two years of being happily married, we still loved each other. However; that changed. One day, as my husband was taking a shower. I heard his cell phone ringing – NONSTOP. So I decided to investigate it. I answered the phone, it was an incoming call from a woman named Catherine.

“Hello,” I said. 

But there was no answer. “Your husband isn’t who you think he is”, she said. 

“What? I don’t understand what you’re talking about, “I replied. 

And then the call ended. After my husband got out of the shower, I decided to ask him, “Who’s Cathrine? She was calling you nonstop.”

“Oh. She’s my cousin. She’s probably asking to meet up, since we last saw each other, “ he responded.

At first, I thought to myself. Maybe he’s cheating on me. NO. He isn’t that type of person. I know who he is. I couldn’t get these nonstop thoughts out of my head, until I decided to investigate. When he informed me that he was going to go visit his cousin. I decided to stalk him – secretly. He arrived at a motel and there was a woman. They were kissing. On the lips. My heart started to hurt. The pain. I just wanted it to be a dream. I had to get myself together. They entered the motel room. I decided to go to the office to go tell them that I had forgotten my key to my room. I didn’t want to look suspicious, so I also said.

“I’m here with my husband. We’re on a date.” I said. 

“That’s great. Here is your key. Have a great time,” the worker replied. 

The worker didn’t suspect anything. I inserted the key. And I stormed inside. Andrew stood frozen. 

“What are you doing here?”, he said angrily.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?” I screamed.

I looked at the bed. There were pictures laid out. But it was not just any pictures. It was my parents. I grabbed them and scanned them. One image to the next. The next image showed my parents being tied up onto their bed, with blood on their face.

“WHO ARE YOU?”

Posted December 19, 2023 by ericaju in category Fiction Writing