April 4

Mattina

by:Sophia Smalley

I remember the cold October morning, the darkness of my room and the little rays of sunlight shining through my white curtains. The warmth of the buttery popcorn bowl in my lap, the sound of the coca cola cracking open i’ve grown accustomed to. 

My attention is drawn to the eerie music of the movie intro playing. A nervous excitement in the pit of my stomach. The sweet sensation of the fizzy soda hitting my tongue and  overwhelming my taste-buds with the sugary flavor.

The calm quiet that surrounds me is peaceful, the only noise being the music that plays as the intro to the movie concludes.  I sink into the mattress of my bed, looking around my messy room to find no person, only clothes littering the wooden floors. I feel the warm October sunlight shining through the glass window. 

The calm silence broken by the cheers and laughter of the movie on the TV screen that sits on my dresser. The movie discs piled up on the side of the dresser covers part of the screen. The anticipation of what will happen is preventing me from diverting my attention. I was so focused on the movie I forgot I was holding the cold can of cola and the warm bucket of buttery popcorn. The excitement and nervousness of what the next scene will hold is making a pit of dread build in my stomach.

Posted April 4, 2024 by sophiesm in category Memory Writing

About the Author

I love slipknot, COD, Sallyface, the Lego Batman Movie, horror movies, rock music and metal music, and Italian food 😋🤟 yes, I have ADHD.