May 12

Like Two Ships

I saw her across the room, she was unlike anything I had ever seen. The darkness of her hair in contrast to her pale skin. Her freckles popped off her cheeks as if they were bouncing on clouds. 

I saw him across the room, he was perfect. He was like all I’d dreamed of, his eyes that I could look into for hours. His smile swallowed me whole, I couldn’t wait to be the one to cause it.

I moved on with my night but she never moved on from me. I couldn’t shake the thought of her and I honestly didn’t want to. 

1 week later

I saw her again. I was at the library and I felt that she was near. Sure enough, I looked up and between the books on the shelf I saw her. 

It was just Friday afternoon. I was looking for a book trying not to think of him, when I looked up and met his eyes. Did he remember me, did he even know who I am?

She looked as beautiful as I remembered her. I couldn’t believe this was happening, I had hoped I’d see her again and for some reason, I knew that she was thinking the same thing.

All the questions bouncing around in my mind are squashed by the hint of his smile. I knew at that moment that he felt the exact same way about me. I was about to say something when his phone rang. He quickly left the room to pick it up. 

Ugh, why did my mom call me RIGHT NOW? I swear she was about to say something too. The one chance I had and I missed it!

4 months later

I couldn’t get him out of my head, his smile was forever engraved on my brain. I couldn’t focus on my work so I decided to take a break. I took a walk to get some fresh air.

I was out to lunch with my brother catching up. He had to leave because he had a meeting, so I thought it was the perfect day for a walk. The sun peeked through the clouds shining beautifully onto the blades of grass. Reminding me of her and her beauty that shined through the dirtiness of the world. 

Right as I was trying to conjure his perfect face in my mind, I saw it in front of me. It had been so long since the last time, I couldn’t believe it! His eyes stared into mine from across the street.

I was leaving the park when I saw her. Her hair was blowing in the wind but still looked perfect. Our eyes met and I knew it was my chance! I couldn’t stand waiting any longer, so I walked right across the street to her. 

He started walking toward me and I to him. I couldn’t wait to hear his voice or know his name. I was so caught up in him that I didn’t hear the sound of screeching tires, the sound of screaming pedestrians, the sound of honking. I was so caught up in him that I didn’t feel the pain when the sound of brakes being slammed stopped, the pain when we both were knocked to the ground. Together.  

Posted May 12, 2023 by bbcomanda in category class writing

About the Author

I am 16 years old and I love my family and friends. I have 4 siblings and a mom and dad, they are my favorite people. In my free time, I play guitar and read. I play basketball and I am a member of FCA.

4 thoughts on “Like Two Ships

1. ausantiago

I really liked the way you changed the point of view from the boy to the girl. Also the ending is really shocking!

Reply
  2. elljohnson

The ending is so sad ,it gives me Romeo and Juliet vibes, but it is also a perfect ending to the story. Love it!!!

Reply
  3. alexandra06

I loved the detail you put into these characters thoughts. The twist was also so unexpected. Good job!!

Reply