January 14

Good Night Vietnam

Takes place in the Vietnam war,can get emoshinal sometimes,it explans itself

Damn, Out of all the possible outcomes that were in my stiff,narrow minded skull,I never thought America, the greatest country known to man would be in close proximity to the word “Losing” but here we are.All we can really do at this point is to just accept defeat. Hell,I’m just thankful that I’m able to move my damn legs other than my friend Bert,that poor sack of shit didn’t even know how to walk straight when I first met him back in high school , it’s a shame really all that work he put into making his legs stronger so he wouldn’t get picked on just to have them shot off. But at least he survived unlike my brother… 

I’ve always been jealous of my older brother Dan,my parents would treat him as if he were some kind of god. To be honest the only reason I wanted to join the damn army was because I would rather hear the sounds of guns being fired,then having to listen to mom and dad talk about how great Dan is.But the funny thing is I’ve never had a problem with Dan.

I fought with him, of course. Since Dan was the favorite, it was inevitable I would hate his friggin’ guts. The truth was, Dan was a good guy. He did good things. I just wanted my parents to notice that I did good things too. I was there when Dan died-shot by friendly fire. I asked that the friendly fire part be kept secret. Better for everyone to think Dan died a hero, shot to shit by the enemy, risking his life for others. 

That’s how my parents would prefer to think of him anyway. Better for them, since the loss will be great for them…and me. 

John was our captain. In the unit, he gave me attention like I wish my dad did. I guess it was harder to fight so far from home. Our base was ambushed- blown to hell. He tried to fend off the enemy  so we could escape, but in the crossfire, he got hit by the wrong guy. 

Now, America, the greatest country in the world lost the battle, lost a good guy- a lot of good guys, and might lose the war. 

It’s not a good way to go. 

Posted January 14, 2020 by nbrackett in category class writing