March 22

Where Do We Go Now?

On a bright and exciting day in 2023 –the very day in fact, I saw my favorite artist in concert. 

Ella arrives at my house. We get ready together then head to Philadelphia for the concert. There was traffic getting into the city but we still made it in time. We wait in line eating pizza, killing time as we wait to get inside the theater. The line finally starts moving and we finally make it in. We run trying to get as close as possible to the front of the stage. We took pictures and talked while waiting for her to come on stage. Finally – there she was. Gracie Abrams. My favorite artist. 

I never thought she was actually real. She started singing and we were screaming, singing, dancing, and clapping. We sang so loud and danced so much ,we lost our voices the next day and could barely get out of bed. Being there knowing that I’ve been able to relate to Gracie Abrams ever since she released her first song made it feel like even more of a staggering experience. Her music, her voice, and her lyrics are very special to me and I was so happy I got to experience it all in person with one of the only people I look up to and have been through everything with – Ella. At that moment, I felt so safe. 

Then she walked off the stage and we walked out of the venue, so slow. We made an excuse to wait in line for merch even though we knew they were sold out, trying to stay in that room as long as possible. We eventually got outside. We just stood there. In the middle of the street. Staring at the sign that says “Gracie Abrams”, hoping I will never lose the sense of calmness and joy she brings me. Not wanting to leave, I asked “Where do we go now?”

Posted March 22, 2024 by jennaph in category Memory Writing

3 thoughts on “Where Do We Go Now?

1. msvirgin

I really liked how you started and ended this memory outside the venue – coming full circle is a great writing technique! The question you ask at the end is very effective in communicating how important this moment and memory is to you.

Reply
  2. mishamu

I liked how you described the scene, showed how you felt, and then in the end you tied it all back and together toward the title.

Reply