October 30

That One Door

That One Door

by: Gage Stankiewicz

If there are hallways in my mind, there must be doors. Doors that hide many things behind there wooden frames. Doors that hide secrets and memories that can be revealed by the twist of an iron knob.

Walking quietly down the one half- light hallway gave a sense of feeling utterly alone. The silence being pierced by my breathing and footsteps as I continued to walk. Looking around I could see different vibrant doors decorated in crazy colors, all marked with signs that were just as bright as the handels they hanged from. As I walked a door with a frosted handel and bright blue wood caught my attention. I decided I wanted to take a look inside the interesting door. I could clearly see a little boy with a mountain of jackets on. His brown hair was covering his face as he gripped the stings of his skates trying desperately to tie the two white laces together. Frustration and anger filled him as he realised he couldn’t tie the losses due to all the coats he was wearing. I couldn’t help but laugh at the scene in front of me. Something about that little boy seemed familiar but I didn’t know why. Then it hit me like a bag of bricks, the boy that I saw was actually me when I was younger.

As I continued to walk I couldn’t help but stop at a door. The door was worn down, chipped and cracked, rust on the broken, dented, and screwless handel. Curiosity washed over me like a tidal wave,I couldn’t stop myself from opening the door not knowing what I might find. Taking a couple steps inside I could clearly see a boy sitting in a dark closet, he was crying his heart out. The tears spilled from his cheeks onto the glass of the picture frame that he clutched in his shaky hands. When he finally put down the picture to dry his cheeks, I could see what the frame heald behind its glass. There sat a picture of my cousin who had passed away at a young age. The memories and feeling hit me like a punch to the gut. I bolted out of the room and slammed the door shut behind me. I hated that memory I could feel my blood boil in my vain. All i wanted to do was forget what I had saw and forget that memory. I had to take a couple deep breaths just to calm myself down, when I finally was calm I continued to walk down the hallway.

At the end of the hallway there sat a door. The wood was painted to look like a transgender flag, the doorknob had a bright rainbow tag hanging off of it bringing a bright and happy feeling to my heart. I couldn’t see the sign on the door because of the large gap between me and the door. I couldn’t help myself and decided that I must see what was behind the bright colored door. Every step I took closer and closer to the door just made me want to look inside. When i finally arrived in front of the mysterious door I grabbed ahold of the shiny door knob and twisted the handel. I opened the door and hoped to get some answers on what would be coming in the futcher, what could I look forward too? I released the breath that was caught in my throat and opened my eyes only to see…

Black.

I was staring into a dark void. There was nothing to be seen there at all, I couldn’t even see two inches in front of my own face. There was no light, no emotion, nothing just complete and utter silence. How was an empty room going to answer anything that I was asking. I was in complete disbelief. I took a step back and closed the door, i realized there was a sign hanging on the door. I turned it over to see if there was any explanation to tell me why there was nothing inside of the room and why all i could see was darkness. There was one sentence that was written on the peace of paper, just reading it made me have hope about my future that was going to come. “When your world changes for good, then and only the, will your second chapter start.” staring at the sentence at first was confusing but as time passed i realize what that sentence means now. That room that i saw wasn’t another memory, it was actually another hallway. But that hallway did not have doors to look in, that was a story to come.

My second chapter.

Tags: , , , ,

Posted October 30, 2018 by gagestankiewicz in category class writing

1 thoughts on “That One Door

1. msvirgin

I love how the different descriptions of the doors match what they reveal – the frosted handle of the ice skater memory, the broken door of the crying memory, the door painted with the transgender flag on the door that reveals an incomplete image. So creative!

Reply