October 30

My Home

Home. What a familiar word. First Family appears in my thoughts. Mom, Dad, Eliot, Jesse, Nora, BB.

Then the location springs into my mind. An stone house, old and proud. An unruly front yard. Trees and leaves, windows and doors. A smooth back porch. A rocky patio. An overrun garden and an empty driveway, long and cobbled. A green front door calls me in. A boardwalk of wood floors stretches out inside. A vast living room, music and roars of laughter float through the air. An orange dining room, memories of dinner and homework. A messy kitchen, “ were those cabinets white originally?” and “Did you do the dishes yet?”. The hallway leads back to the creaky basement stairs. It extends to the office, orderly and cold, where my sisters work. The wood banister leads up from the door to the landing. Just one truncated flight of stairs later and I reach my room. Separated. Small. White. Organized. Covered in all kinds of things. A bulletin board, the letters S-I-M-O-N, a bottle cap map, and artwork from years of creation.

This is my Home.

Posted October 30, 2018 by Simón C in category Nonfiction Posts

About the Author

I like reading long books and eating ice cream. I do not own a phone and I never have. I am the second oldest of five kids and I am a quarter Brazilian.

2 thoughts on “My Home

1. msvirgin

The fragments you use to start this description quickly pull me in and make me want to keep reading. I love how you played with the adjective arrangement and the details you included are so specific and vivid.

Reply