November 2

Home

By Maddy Davis

Home

Home is where the heart is, whether it be with family, friends, or a place, it’s home. I used to live in a two story tudor house. It had brick on one side and the rest of the siding were light and dark tan colors. Walking up our long, pebbled pathway, always seemed like a  fairytale to me in a way. I don’t know why? But for some reason it did. Walking up the steps to the house, I can see the pawprint doorbell. Every time I saw it, it always made me want to cry a little. Siena, a black lab, friendly and sweet, always there for me when I needed her most. She was able to ring the doorbell; after she passed, I always expected to hear that doorbell again and her waiting there for me to open it up for her. Walking in, you would never would expect to see the quirkiness that is hidden behind the walls. The Mexican tile with the cat and chicken footprints, the iron wine case right through the front door, the pool table to the left and the dining room to the right. The magnificent kitchen with its beautiful French imported tiles. The antique butcher table in the center where my family would eat dinner. The kitchen was probably my favorite room of the house, it’s warm feeling always gave me chills up my spine. The smell of the homemade food wafts through the air and entrances me with their delishesness. It can’t get any better than that. Up the steps where my my bedroom dwells, I remember the feeling of calmness and acceptance that my room made me feel. My room, I felt, depicted my personality perfectly. The cool grey tones and the accented blues are what made it. My grandmother’s desk that fit perfectly where it sat. My rhinoceros and giraffe paper machè busts that hung on the wall and the the colorful plates that hung beside them. My books that lined up two shelves worth in my bookcase, the others, lying in bins waiting to be read at some point. My personal items that created their own personality. And the teddy bears that always sat in their place on top the bed. This house was my life. My sixteen years of existence was in that house. Even though I don’t live there anymore, it will always hold meaning for me in my heart. It will always be home for me. 

Posted November 2, 2018 by Maddy Davis in category Personal Writing