April 2

Just a place.

758 Shropshire Drive, is nothing but an address to some people but to me, it was a place I spent the majority of my life. A place I shared so many laughs, so many cries, worst days, and best days. From the street you see the last house in a line of town homes, on the side of the house the foundation was cracking, the paint on the window cills was peeling and a window in the front of the house was shattered. As you take a walk inside on the broken concrete you see a bright red door and a small tree left of the house that looked like it was about to crash and fall. The kitchen was painted a horrible dark purple and on the walls was convered in marks where my dad tried to spakle but never finished, the ceiling was stained and cracked with water damage. But that is what you see on the outside, on the inside is where you see the memories. 

Inside In the entryway is where I fell down the stairs and broke my first bone, the living room where my parents told me they were going to adopt my brother. In the kitchen, I blew out my birthday candle for each birthday, the basement where my brothers and I played touch football and broke the TV, or the basement steps where my brothers and I would put a bunch of pillows at the bottom of the steps and slide down in laundry baskets, through the kitchen was the microwave that never seemed to work, or the fridge that’s ice machine would just drop ice on to the floor and leave it wet. 

Upstairs is a zigzag hallway, through the hallway is my room, a place I made so many memories. My carpet stained with paint, markers, or slime that I made with my childhood best friend. My walls painted yellow and punctured with tack and nail holes from when I tried to hang pictures. My bedroom wall I shared with my brothers, I used to fall asleep to them jumping off there bunk beds on to the floor, or playing mario cart on their WII. When I would play my music to loud I would here a bang on the wall from my brother telling to quite down. 

All these memories flood through my brain, just a place, but so much more than that. Now a new house stands in its place with a new family to make memories in. 

Posted April 2, 2024 by giannasa in category class writing

3 thoughts on “Just a place.

1. ellasto

I like how you were so detailed with explaining it. You were able to make the memories feel longer by explaining them more.

Reply
  2. giuliaso

I love how you started with a simple statement and expanded on it by listing memories attached to the place.

Reply