October 9

How To Survive An International Flight

By: Kennedy R.

Over the loudspeaker, you hear, “now boarding flight 007 to Auckland, New Zealand”. Everybody jumps up from their seat, gather their things, and with a spring in their step, scan their ticket to enter the plane. You walk down the long, dark hallway into the grumbling plane, where flight attendants, with a smile, welcome you onboard. You walk down the long hallway, where people left and right are lifting their luggage above their heads, and are fighting for overhead space. You finally find your seat, and shove your bags below, so you can sit, relax, and enjoy your long flight across the sea.  

In the past few years, I have had the pleasure of traveling to England, France, Italy, Australia, and New Zealand, with plans to travel to Japan and Greece in the next 2 years. Needless to say, I have flown many miles in stuffy and cramped airplanes. Luckily, traveling large distances often brings the need for a large plane, which automatically adds extra amenities while sitting for such a long time. I have acquired many tips and tricks for being in a plane for so long, specifically during my trip from Houston to Auckland, which was 15 hours. This did not include my flight from Philadelphia to Houston, which was 3 ½ hours, my 7-hour layover in Houston, my 3-4 hour layover in Auckland, and my 5-hour flight from Auckland to Cairns, Australia. After that 40 hour debacle, I can share my insights on how to fly for so long, and how to take advantage of that downtime.

1. Take some time to learn about your seat: It is helpful too when finding your seat, to examine where it is in the plane. Is it a window seat? Aisle seat? Middle seat? Every seat brings different elements to a flight that can be useful. Those in window seats can look outside throughout the flight and can lean against the window for a more comfortable sleeping position. For those in aisle seats, it is easier to leave your seat, to stretch your legs, etc, and you can lean your head to the right in order to gain a better sleeping position. Finally, the dreaded middle seat. Though you can not lean your head to either side, you are able to utilize both armrests, as that is the etiquette for those in the middle seat. During my longest flight, I had an aisle seat, which allowed me to stretch my legs and to go to the bathroom with ease.                                                   
  2. Be mindful of overhead space: Needless to say, it can be difficult to squeeze your luggage into the overhead bins, especially if others did not utilize the space. Some people choose to put their suitcase in that space, and then keep their smaller bag between their feet. But, others will put everything into the overhead space, and take up valuable room that other passengers need. When possible, store your larger suitcase in the overhead bin, and put your smaller bag or purse underneath the seat in front of you. This way, everybody can have room to put something in the overhead bins and do not have to check their luggage, which can be a hassle. If you do need something from the overhead bin during the flight, you can make your way to the aisle, and exchange items.
  3. Make use of entertainment provided on the flight: During my longest flight, touch screens were installed in the back of the seats, so it was possible to watch movies, TV shows, listen to music, order snacks, and much more. I ended up watching 3 movies and listening to music, all while ordering snacks at 3:00 AM. This entertainment system made the trip bearable, where it otherwise would have been a drag. As of late, most international flights have these entertainment systems, which allow for increased comfort during those long trips. They are updated with new releases, such as “Game Night” with Jason Bateman, and “Moana”. The music ranges from country, to pop, and to jazz, and the TV shows range from thrillers to comedies, and include shows like “The Big Bang Theory”. The only downside is that every season and every episode are not there, even though it is regularly updated. My favorite feature, though, is ordering snacks and drinks. Non-alcoholic drinks are free, so you can select which drink you want, press “order”,  and receive your drink momentarily. Alcoholic drinks and snacks do cost money, so the process is slightly different. First, you select what you want, press “order”, swipe your credit card directly beneath the screen, and receive your drink/snack right away.
  4. Take advantage of your amenities: Depending on what time zones you are passing through, you will receive a meal(s) along with your journey. This can range from chicken, steak, and vegetarian options. Airplane meals have the reputation of lacking flavor, but they are better than you think! Normally, a bread roll, a salad, entree, and dessert is offered, along with a drink of your choice. This was the standard for dinner, and lunch was usually a prepackaged sandwich. Breakfast was also offered, where a sweet or savory option was offered. The sweet meal was often pancakes with syrup, and the savory option was a combination of scrambled eggs and meat. I do not normally eat eggs, so I always wanted the sweet option. But, every time they offered me a meal, they were out of the sweet option! Needless to say, I ate a lot of eggs that trip! Also, take advantage of any in-plane wifi opportunities, so you can get work done, or watch shows that are not available on the in-flight entertainment.                                                                                                                
  5. Bring some snacks: Though liquids are not usually permitted through security, it is cost effective to bring a few snacks through security! Aim for items that are filling, but are not greasy or messy. If you are like me and forgot about bringing your own snacks, there are countless places to buy and eat food at the airport. I tend to gravitate towards Asian cuisine or candy at shops. Specifically, Sour Patch Kids (Watermelon)! Yes, that is very specific, but I seldom buy other candies. Also, various snacks might be available on your flight. Feel free to ask a flight attendant or look in your complimentary magazine once you sit down. Overall, do not rely solely on airplane meals! Bring some yummy snacks to cure that extra hunger.
  6. Bring things to do: On a long flight, things to do are a must. Yes, you have in-flight entertainment, and yes, you have your phone, but bring other items that will help occupy the time. You can bring books, paper, and pencils, cards, etc. Also, bring some work along. Nobody wants to come home after a long trip and immediately study or complete homework. You can bring your essays, worksheets, and computer along to fill your time. This way, you can feel accomplished when you get to your destination.
  7. Make sure to declare your possessions: During your international flights, you will receive a paper card from a crew member that asks you about your visit. This includes the information listed on your passport, plane ticket, and about items you are bringing into the country. Certain items can not be brought internationally, such as honey, so you will need to dispose of them before entering customs. The card will also ask you if you are bringing any animal products, or any weapons, for example, and if you have any of the items listed, you will have to declare them. By declaring them, you check the “yes” box on the card and admit to having them in your possession. Upon entering customs at your destination (or layover), you will be asked to explain what you have declared, and officials might ask to look through your belongings. If this happens, stay calm, because it is completely normal! When entering New Zealand after visiting Australia, I had to declare a boomerang as a weapon, so officials went through my bag.

Expert Travelers, am I missing anything? Are there any tips and tricks for international plane travels that I do not have? Let me know in the comments, and I will add it to our list!

Posted October 9, 2018 by kennedyross in category class writing