December 15

The Christmas Gift

The Christmas lights set a soft glow across the otherwise dark room. All the presents were wrapped and placed, the cookies had santa-sized bites, and the carrot sticks were gnarled in half. As I looked over the idyllic scene bitterness built in my chest. Would anyone even notice? Would anyone even care? Or would they just tear through it all without so much as a thank you?

With an exhausted sigh, I sank into the couch and brought the filled wine glass to my lips. Just as the warm liquid started to ease my annoyance, I heard a soft tapping on the front door. Two quick raps… then nothing. I sat up, alert, waiting for more – but only silence followed.

The wind. It must have been the wind. Who would come knocking so late on Christmas Eve?

Minutes later another round of tapping sounded from the door. Again, two quick raps. This time I rose, grabbing the wrapped hockey stick from under the tree, and started towards the front hall.

Peering through the windows I saw only shadows and Christmas lights dancing off the white-covered earth. I turned to walk upstairs and finally seek my bed for the last few hours of the night when it came again – knock knock.

Without hesitation, I swirled around and slid the deadbolt free. Wrenching the door open I saw nothing. Then I looked down. Standing alone, snow collecting in her dark, curly hair, a young girl had her back to me as if preparing to disappear again.

“Hello?”

At the sound of my voice, she turned slowly and peered up at me. I stared back into a too-familiar face. The unwrinkled face of my childhood. Around her neck was twined the long-lost knitted scarf my grandmother had given me on my 9th Christmas. The last Christmas I remember being truly happy.

“Hello. I have something to show you,” whispered the small voice as she turned and started down the front path.

And without thinking, I stepped my slippered foot into the untouched snow and followed.

Posted December 15, 2023 by msvirgin in category Fiction Writing

About the Author

The most important part of my life is my family. I have a toddler who keeps me on my toes, two adopted dogs who brighten my day with sloppy puppy kisses, and a supportive husband who's by my side through it all. When I'm not spending time with them, I'm at school with my students. I teach 9th grade, creative writing, and public speaking and I advise for the GSA. A few of my hobbies include working out, riding my bike, and camping. These are also some of the topics I like to write about. I tend to pull most of my writing from my personal and professional life.