November 11

Fall days 2016

I knew from the start I would never forgive or forget you for what you did to me that day. It was supposed to be a sweet family bike ride, yet it didn’t end like that. It was sunny out, the smell of dried crumbled leaves traveled through the air. The breeze lightly flowed into my face, my hair was blowing in the wind. The sound of the bike tires squeaked through the grassy dirt path, the trees flew by me one by one. Everything was perfect..until it wasn’t. I went numb and my mind went blank I felt my stomach twist in a knot. The only thing I can remember is the sound of us arguing. What could have occurred in those few seconds that lead to all of this?

I watched as you picked up your bike and snapped the bars in half. That’s when I felt the tears fall. The walk back to the car was silent but we argued the whole way home. As soon as the car pulled into the driveway I unlocked my door and unbuckled my seatbelt and ran into the house crying. I was so scared. I have seen you act out before but this time was different. No words can describe the fear I felt. My mom took me into her arms and held me behind the locked door as you stormed onto the porch. I listened to you walk angrily down the hallway to the room we were in when I suddenly hear the door shake. The door bends as i hear the wood snapping, then the doorknob falls off. After that the only thing I could focus on was you and Mom screaming, I ran through the back door and out into the yard watching you yell at her through the window. Why do you take your anger out on us? what have I done? Was this my fault? I listen carefully as my mom yells for me to come back inside. I slowly walked in fearfully, but that’s when I realized I had no reason to be scared because he was gone.  Everything of him was gone, his clothes had vanished from the closet, his belongings had left as well. My mom and me were together ever since then, no bond broke us because we knew that we had eachother. The only thing I had received from you was the nightly skype calls and visits on my birthday. I knew one day you would come back and one day you actually did and now we are all together, but that doesn’t mean I forgot or forgave you for what happened that day, Dad.

Posted November 11, 2022 by fayeha in category Personal Writing

1 thoughts on “Fall days 2016

1. msvirgin

The turn this writing takes from a pleasant bike ride to a violent and traumatic memory is striking and impactful. I also like how you switched from the second person to the third person. You spoke directly to “you” when he was active in your memory then he switched to him when he left.

Reply