November 4

Sandy Sunrise

The cold sand chilled my feet as I stepped off the hard pavement and onto the coarse, grainy sand. Glancing down at my phone, I read the time: 5:07 AM. Tiredly I dragged my feet behind all my friends, bringing up the rear. The exhaustion of waiting up all night had begun to hit everyone, evident by the lack of conversation. Although the night sky had begun to lighten as we made our way down the beach, the moon still shone brightly over our heads. Its gentle glow lit a path for us as we made our way onto the beach. Upon noticing the solitary lifeguard stand that stood in the distance, we all collectively agreed it would be the perfect place to relax while we waited for the sun to rise above the ocean. Taking a big breath in, the smell of saltwater and clean air hit my nose as we trudged through the sand. Once we reached the lifeguard stand, the seven of us scrambled onto it, eager to give our frozen feet a chance to thaw. The original brown wood peeked through the white paint, eroded from the years it’s spent being damaged by the weather. Up here, the breeze whipped through my hair and bitterly hit the side of my face. To remedy this, I threw my hood over my head. The sun just barely glanced over the ocean, signaling to us it was time to watch the sunrise. Turning my attention to the sky, we all watched in awe as the sky changed from a dusky blue to pinks, purples, and oranges. After about ten minutes, the rising sun had woken me up fully. I no longer felt fatigued like I had before and was grateful I hadn’t missed my opportunity to see the sunrise.

Posted November 4, 2022 by kayleyku in category Personal Writing

2 thoughts on “Sandy Sunrise

1. aprilzl

I really like sunrises and sunsets so i really like how you described what your reactions were when the sunrise was there !! I also really like the picture you put as well it helps me visualize how the sunrise looks like !!

Reply
  2. msvirgin

What a great experience! Your writing really shows the tension between the strain of staying awake all night and freezing on the beach to experience the joy of watching one of nature’s greatest daily gifts – the sunrise. I felt like I was living this memory along with you!

Reply